MARLBOROUGH DOWNS CHALLENGE - 20 MILE
07 May 2022
Where: Marlborough Leisure Centre, SN8 1PB. Toilets, showers, changing facilities and bag drop available.
When: Saturday 7 May 2022. Registration for 20 mile race 9:00am –10:15am.
20 Mile race starts at 10:30. Finish closes at 5:00pm
Race will comply with UK Athletics rules. Permit applied for - Trail Running Association.
Parking: will be in the grounds of Marlborough College, SN8 1PA.
Age limit for this race: 18 and over.
We will add further details here and full race information will be emailed to all entrants a couple of weeks before the race.
IMPORTANT - Cancellation: This year Marlborough Running Club is facing significantly increased costs in putting on the MDC. The cost of first aid provision, for example, has almost trebled. If extreme circumstances (e.g. Covid restrictions) require us to cancel the event we will contact all entrants to set out options, which may include partial refunds or a transfer to a future event.
The MDC is a beautiful yet challenging event, mostly off-road along tracks and footpaths. There is plenty of climbing - over 3000 feet for the 33 mile race. The routes take in some of the finest Wiltshire countryside including:
- The Wansdyke Path, Tan Hill Way, White Horse Trail, and Mid Wilts Way with superb views across the Vale of Pewsey.
- West Woods and Gopher Wood, with its amazing wild garlic.
- Two of the highest points in Wiltshire at Knapp Hill and at Tan Hill, where the long and short courses diverge
...and, on the 33 mile route,
- The Kennet & Avon Canal into Devizes
- Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill
- Cherhill Monument and White Horse
After the two routes rejoin to pass through Avebury, with its pre-historic stone circle and views of Silbury Hill, runners then go via Overton and Fyfield Downs back to Marlborough Leisure Centre for showers and refreshments.
Registration open from: 09:00:00