MARLBOROUGH DOWNS CHALLENGE 2023 - 33 MILE
13 May 2023
Where: Marlborough Leisure Centre, SN8 1PB. Toilets, showers, changing facilities and bag drop available.
When: Saturday 13 May 2023. Registration 7:45am –8:45am.
33 Mile race starts at 09:00. Finish closes at 5:00pm
Race will comply with UK Athletics rules.
Trail Running Association Permit Number 4680.
Parking: will be on Marlborough Common, SN8 1DL
Age limit for this race - 20 years and over.
We will add further details here and full race information will be emailed to all entrants a couple of weeks before the race.
IMPORTANT - Cancellation: This year Marlborough Running Club is facing significantly increased costs in putting on the MDC. The cost of first aid provision, for example, has almost trebled. If extreme circumstances require us to cancel the event, we will contact all entrants to set out options, which may include partial refunds or a transfer to a future event.
The MDC is a beautiful yet challenging event, mostly off-road along tracks and footpaths. There is plenty of climbing - over 3000 feet for the 33 mile race. The routes take in some of the finest Wiltshire countryside including:
- The Wansdyke Path, Tan Hill Way, White Horse Trail, and Mid Wilts Way with superb views across the Vale of Pewsey.
- West Woods and Gopher Wood, with its amazing wild garlic.
- Two of the highest points in Wiltshire at Knapp Hill and at Tan Hill, where the long and short courses diverge
and, on the 33 mile route,
- The Kennet & Avon Canal into Devizes
- Roundway Hill and Morgan's Hill
- Cherhill Monument and White Horse
After the two routes rejoin to pass through Avebury, with its pre-historic stone circle and views of Silbury Hill, runners then go via Overton and Fyfield Downs back to Marlborough Leisure Centre for showers and refreshments.
Registration open from: 07:45:00
Organiser: Marlborough Running Club
Race Director:Ciaran Considine