The Coast to Coast Relay
26 September 2020
We welcome you to take part in the North East Project - Coast to Coast Relay Challenge covering a whopping 182 miles from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay across 2 days. Often on most runners' bucket list, this challenge gives you the opportunity to run across 3 national parks and be part of a team making history. This really is one of the world's greatest challenges!
How does it work?
- Fill out the entry system and answer the questions regarding distance, current fitness, and availability on the day/days of the challenge.
- Once we receive this information we will group you with runners of similar ability (up to 12 runners in a group) and matching availability on the same legs. We will send you a confirmation email outlining the full details of your leg. A practice run of your leg before the event is advised to make navigation easier on the day.
- During the event, you will be required to provide your own transport. Remember you will be running from point A to B, therefore, each participant will require their own transport/car share. Limited car-sharing options are available from the organizers. A support crew and medical team will follow the route and meet participants at regular checkpoints throughout each leg.
- A WhatsApp group will be created prior to the event as a line of communication between participants and the organizers. We will provide regular updates throughout both days of the event on start/finish times of each checkpoint.
The route begins at St Bees in Cumbria, on the Irish Sea. It crosses the West Cumbrian coastal plain and the Lake District and enters North Yorkshire as it crosses the Pennines. It then crosses the Yorkshire Dales, the Vale of York and the North York Moors to reach the North Sea coast at Robin Hoods Bay.
The full route can be accessed here: https://www.walkingenglishman.com/coast2coast.htm
The Prizes Classification:
Greatest Solo Distance Award - awarded to the runner who covers the greatest cumulative distance over the weekend.
The Ultimate Team Award - awarded to the team of 6 from one club who covers the greatest combined distance. All 6 runners must be from the same club and clubs may have more than one team.
The Mountain Goat Award - awarded to the runner holding the most climbing points over the weekend. All major climbs along the C2C route will be graded into a points classification. More points will be awarded for tougher climbs!
Most Supportive Runner Award - awarded to the runner who goes the extra mile to help others and makes the event a better place to be.
St Bees to Moor Row (7 miles) START - Friday night accommodation
Moor Row to Ennerdale Bridge (7 miles)
Ennerdale Bridge to Rosthwaite (14 miles)
Rosthwaite to Grasmere (9 miles)
Grasmere to Patterdale (8 miles)
Patterdale to Bampton (11.5 miles)
Bampton to Orton (12.5 miles)
Orton to Kirby Stephen (13 miles) Halfway point - Saturday night accommodation at Reeth
Kirby Stephen to Keld (11 miles)
Keld to Reeth (10.5 miles)
Reeth to Richmond (10 miles)
Richmond to Bolton on Swale (6.2 miles)
Bolton on Swale to Danby Wiske (6.1 miles)
Danby Wiske to Ingleby Arncliffe (8 miles)
Ingleby Arncliffe to Claybank top (11 miles)
Claybank top to Lion Inn (9 miles)
Lion Inn to Grosmont (12.5 miles)
Grosmont to Robin hoods bay (15.5 miles) FINISH
- A support crew will follow the race and meet participants at regular checkpoints throughout each leg. Water and snacks will be available along your leg to fuel you all the way.
- Medical staff will also follow the race as part of the support crew in the unfortunate event that an injury/incident may occur. Your safety is our highest priority.
- Within your confirmation email, you will receive a kit list of what to bring to the event. It is vitally important that you bring the necessary equipment for your own safety.
The team will be staying at YHA Grinton Lodge Hostel for the halfway accommodation on Saturday 26th September. If you require accommodation on Saturday night you may book up here: https://www.yha.org.uk/hostel/yha-grinton-lodge
Please get in touch if you need help answering any queries on the event and we can guide you through the sign-up process. We can't wait for this epic event!
Kieran and Ben
North East Project
Registration open from: 06:00:00