The Hadrians Wall Relay
23 January 2021
We welcome you to take part in The Hadrians Wall Relay Challenge taking place on Saturday 23rd November. You will be part of a team trying to run the whole length of the wall in just one day. The legs are broken down into manageable chunks for all abilities to get involved. You may also run more than one leg or even run the whole thing if you are feeling brave enough!
The route follows the line of Hadrian’s Wall, along the way passing through some of the most beautiful parts of England – from rolling fields and rugged moorland to the vibrant cities of Newcastle and Carlisle. Hadrian’s Wall was constructed by Emperor Hadrian in the 2nd century AD and the Hadrian’s Wall Path is the only coast-to-coast Trail to follow a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Although only a few sections of the Wall remain visible above ground, the remains of Roman forts have been excavated to give visitors a rich insight into life in Roman Britain.
How does it work?
- Fill out the entry system and select the legs which you will like to run on the day of the challenge.
- Once we receive this information we will group you with runners of similar ability (up to 12 runners in a group) and matching availability on the same legs. We will send you a confirmation email outlining the full details of your leg.
- During the event, you will be required to organise your own transport. Remember you will be running from point A to B, therefore, each participant will require their own transport/car share. Limited car-sharing options are available from the organisers. A support crew and medical team will follow the route and meet participants at every checkpoint along the whole route.
- A WhatsApp group will be created prior to the event as a line of communication between participants and the organisers. We will provide regular updates throughout both days of the event on start/finish times of each checkpoint. The group is also useful to organise transport and connect with each other before the big day.
The full route can be accessed here: https://www.plotaroute.com/route/272492?units=km
Bowness on Solway to Burgh by Sands (12.7 km) START
Burgh by Sands to Carlisle Castle (10.5 km)
Carlisle Castle to Newtown (14.7 km)
Newtown to Gilsland (15.8 km)
Gilsland to Cawbum (11.3 km)
Cawbum to Settlingstones (15 km)
Settlingstones to Wall (10 km)
Wall to East Wallhouses (14 km)
East Wallhouses to Heddon on the Wall (9.5 km)
Heddon on the Wall to Newcastle Business Park (13.5 km)
Newcastle Business Park to Wallsend (10 km) FINISH
- A support crew will follow the race and meet participants at regular checkpoints throughout each leg. Water and snacks will be available along your leg to fuel you all the way.
- Medical staff will also follow the race as part of the support crew in the unfortunate event that an injury/incident may occur. Your safety is our highest priority.
- It is vitally important that you bring the necessary kit/equipment for your own safety. Please see the kit list below.
Kit list (essential items):
- Fully charged phone.
- Waterproof jacket and running tights (either on or within a backpack).
- Water (500ml).
- Trail running shoes or road trainers with good grip.
- Map of your legs (provided).
You can't compete in this epic challenge without getting some bling! To order a bespoke t-shirt/vest and medal, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the event please get in touch with us.
Kieran and Ben
North East Project
Registration open from: 06:00:00